Microsoft rolled out the first of what are expected to be monthly updates for Surface Duo today. This update is expected to include Android’s October security patch, along with usability improvements. It’s likely we’ll see some of the bigger bugs still present with the Surface Duo squashed with this update as well.
Update: So far, these are the version number changes we have noticed:
- Touch version: 4.302.139.0 to 4.305.139.0 (new)
- Build: 2020.812.86 to 2020.910.72 (new)
- Kernel: 4.14.117-duo-d-2020_812_28+ to 4.14.117-duo-d-2020_910+28+ Sept 26th (new)
- Security Patch: September 5th to October 5th (new)
- Launcher: Version 6.2.200904.91704 (last beta build)
Update 2: Here is the official changelog from Microsoft for today’s update (unlocked only, for now):
- Addresses scenarios outlined in the Android Security Bulletin – October 2020.
- Improves call stability and experience.
- Improves touch stability.
- Improves Facebook Messenger single screen experience when launching by clicking on Facebook chat bubble.
- Improves device stability.
This is also the first update to arrive since the day-one update Microsoft’s provided on the day Surface Duo launched in September. It comes in at 113MB in size.
To check for the update, use the following steps:
- Connect to a Wi-Fi network.
- Select Settings on your Surface Duo’s home screen.
- Select System.
- Select System Update.
- Select Check for update.
- Select Restart now.
There are no release notes available at the moment, but we’ll update this post with the granular details once they are available.
We have heard from sources that AT&T-branded models may not get this update until
a later date next week due to verification.
Surface Duo is available now starting at $1,400.
Two screens are better than one
Microsoft delves into the future of foldables with an ambitious dual-screen device, featuring two ultra-thin 5.6-inch AMOLED displays bound by a 360-degree hinge. This pocketable inking-enabled Android smartphone marks the latest in the Surface lineup, geared for mobile productivity.