It appears that the market is now moving at an even faster pace and requires manufacturers to put out the next version of a said phone, even if it’s a mid-range phone. The Realme 7 family is here to prove it and even though the name implies it’s a generational upgrade, we can’t really say it is. On the other hand, the Realme 7 Pro comes with a slew of new changes and not all of them are good.
For instance, the camera setup loses the telephoto camera and swaps it out for a depth sensor. The 7 Pro also loses the front-facing ultra-wide cam. Another big, probably controversial change is the display. It has shrunk in size and now doesn’t support 90Hz refresh rate. But it gains a crisp Super AMOLED panel and Realme has a solid reason for that, which we will discuss on the next page.
Realme 7 Pro specs
- Body: 160.9 x 74.3 x 8.7mm , 182g; Gorilla Glass 3+ front, plastic body
- Screen: 6.4″ Super AMOLED, FHD+ (1080 x 2400px) resolution
- Camera: Primary: 64MP Quad-Bayer, f/1.8 aperture, 0.8µm pixel size, 1/1.72″ sensor size; Ultra-wide: 8MP, f/2.3 aperture, 1.12µm pixel size, 1/4″ sensor size; Macro: 2MP f/2.4, 1.75µm pixel size, 1/5″ sensor size; Depth sensor: 2MP mono camera
- Front camera: 32MP f/2.5 aperture
- Chipset: Snapdragon 720G (8 nm): Octa-core (2×2.3 GHz Kryo 465 Gold & 6×1.8 GHz Kryo 465 Silver)
- Memory: 6GB/64GB, 8GB/128GB, expandable via microSD card
- OS: Android 10, Realme UI
- Battery: 4,500 mAh, 65W SuperDart Charge
- Connectivity: 4G LTE; Dual SIM; Dual-band Wi-Fi, Buetooth 5.1, GPS, USB Type-C 2.0
- Misc:Under-display fingerprint reader, stereo loudspeakers;
Fast charging has been around for a while now and Oppo is one of the pioneers in the field so the upgrade to the 65W SuperDart charging was expected but also a bit of a surprise to see it on a budget phone. Moreover, the battery capacity hasn’t been sacrificed in the process. Quite the opposite, actually. The 7 Pro now offers 4,500 mAh unit compared to the 4,300 mAh battery on the 6 Pro.
And, of course, there are some obvious design changes – the back is now mostly matte, the paint jobs are new, the camera module has a different design and due to the smaller display and slightly altered edges, the handset feels much more comfortable in the hand.
Unboxing the Realme 7 Pro
Realme 7 Pro’s box is identical to the one carrying the vanilla 7 so it has the appropriate 65W-capable charger, the corresponding USB-A to USB-C cable and a free transparent silicone case as well.