Microsoft Edge Dev received a new update this week. The update brings the browser to version 88.0.705.9. The update includes several new features, including new password creation and management features as well as price comparison capabilities within the coupons flyout.
The release notes from Microsoft break down all of the changes:
- Improved the History menu to be able to have an icon next to the address bar, to show all the tabs available in recently closed windows, and to be pinnable as a side pane like the recently improved Favorites menu. For more details, see [here]
- Added the ability for Edge to generate new passwords.
- Added the ability to copy and edit passwords stored in the browser.
- Add price comparison capabilities to the coupons flyout.
- Added Picture in Picture support on Mac OS. Support on other devices coming later.
- Finished rolling out the search Sidebar.
- Enabled the creation of text notes in PDFs on non-Windows platforms.
- Added a new management policy to Allow Vertical Tabs. Note that updates to administrative templates or documentation may not be available yet.
- Improved the layout of the Cookies and Site Permissions Settings.
- Added a management policy on Mac OS to Override the Update Policy normally used on that OS. Note that updates to administrative templates or documentation may not be available yet.
- Enabled support for the management policies to Allow Legacy TLS Protocols in Web RTC, set a Printer Type Deny List, and change Intranet Redirect Behavior from Chromium.
Notably, the update includes features specific to non-Windows versions of Edge as well. You can now create text notes in PDFs on non-Windows devices, and the browser now supports picture-in-picture on macOS.
The update also improves reliability in several areas:
- Fixed a crash on launch on Mac with the error message “AlertNotificationService cannot be opened because of a problem.”
- Fixed a crash when navigating to different websites while certain extensions are installed.
- Fixed a crash when using Pinterest suggestions in Collections.
- Fixed an issue where clicking the … menu inside a collection sometimes crashes the Collections pane.
- Fixed an issue where websites sometimes fail to sign in with an ERR_SSL_CLIENT_AUTH_CERT_NEEDED error after rebooting the device.
According to Microsoft’s release notes, this is the final build for version 88 of Microsoft Edge. That means that it will arrive on the Beta channel soon, though there could be some small patches for it before it moves to the next channel. You can check out all of the known issues and other changes on Microsoft’s techcommunity post.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.