The dust hasn’t even settled after the official release of 1.17 Caves and Cliffs Update Part One, which brings dozens upon dozens of new features and enhancements to Minecraft as the first half of the colossal Caves and Cliffs Update, and Mojang Studios is already looking ahead with Minecraft: Bedrock Edition Beta 220.127.116.11. A careful look at the 1.17 Caves and Cliffs Update Part One changelogs reveals a big discrepancy between Minecraft: Bedrock Edition and Minecraft: Java Edition, however, which the latest Minecraft beta is aiming to rectify.
One of the gently-hidden features of the Caves and Cliffs Update is the addition of candles, a lovely new light source that can come in various colors and is a surprisingly exciting feature for many players. Minecraft: Java Edition players already get to enjoy everything candles have to offer, but Minecraft: Bedrock Edition narrowly missed out on candles with the initial 1.17 update release. Today’s beta adds candles, alongside a ton of other bug fixes and changes, for testing before Mojang Studios releases candles to the public.
1.17 Caves and Cliffs Update Part One is already a fantastic and feature-packed update for Minecraft, but the addition of candles to Minecraft: Bedrock Edition in the near future will make it even sweeter. Players won’t have to wait until the release of 1.18 Caves and Cliffs Update Part Two, either, as Mojang Studios has confirmed candles are arriving soon after the launch of 1.17. If you’re excited, be sure to peruse our catalog of best Minecraft merch, toys, and gifts.
The full changelog for Minecraft: Bedrock Edition Beta 18.104.22.168 includes:
Features & bug fixes
- Candles are now available in the game!
- Can be placed in clusters up to four and lit using Flint & Steel
- Try putting one on a Cake and make a wish!
- Candles can be crafted using a Honeycomb and String
- Combine with dye on a crafting grid to craft different colored Candles
- Falling Anvils and Stalactites now deal damage to mobs when landing in liquid
- Fixed a bug where players going through Cobwebs would take fall damage before hitting the ground
- Descending through Powder Snow with touch controls now uses the same button as descending through Scaffolding
- Vanilla Parity: Empty Buckets can no longer be used to collect Fish
- Axolotls now only spawn in complete darkness
- Iron Golems and Evokers are no longer sometimes aggressive on Peaceful difficulty
- Glow Squid now darkens to match the surrounding light level when hurt
- When Goats are performing a ram attack, mobs will no longer retaliate against the Goats
- Fixed a warning that could appear in splitscreen when encountering Guardians
- Featured item thumbnails now remain within the featured items window
- The “Choose New Skin” button now shows up even when there is no imported custom skin
- The “Choose New Skin” button no longer disappears after selecting the slim custom option
- Fixed an issue that was causing the player’s head to not animate properly with emotes
- Using a fire charge to light objects (such as candles) may cause a crash
- Fixed experimental
query.targetto work on client-side queries
Data driven blocks
Updated documentation for
- Players will now be given a content error when custom recipes are invalid
minecraft:block_climber, it now processes climbing both Scaffolding and Powder Snow
- Content creators can now create multi-page dialogues with branching narrative for NPCs using the
/dialoguecommand and dialogue JSON files
GameTest framework (experimental)
- Added event
World.event.addEffect– Fires when an effect is applied to an entity.
- Added event
World.event.createEntity– Fires when an entity is added to the world.
- Removed function
- Changed function
- Changed function
- Added property
displayName– Gets the display name of the effect
A gaming masterpiece
Available everywhere you play.
Minecraft is an inarguable and complete success. It has sold copies in the hundreds of millions, has a huge following of dedicated players, and lets you unlock your every creative desire. It’s also available on every platform imaginable, including Xbox, Windows 10, PlayStation, Nintendo Switch, Android, and iOS. Play with anyone and play anywhere.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.